Wednesday, April 22, 2009

OH, E-MAN!!!


Within the last two weeks Ethan, or E-man as some in our family like to call him, has done some acts of naughtiness that I thought I better record. Now these acts yes they are naughty, but when he has been caught his responses have been so matter of fact and innocent that it has really been hard to get angry with him. Oh don't get me wrong I have been the one to catch him on all accounts and yes my immediate response is horror and panic but then it quickly turns into smiles that I am trying very hard to hide from the other boys so they don't think that it is fun and games and do the same. Ethan is 4 and I actually thought this mischevious phase was over but I guess Ethan's imagination and curiousity would beg to differ with me.

So, first Ryan has been borrowing his dad's jeep that has a small trailor on the back to haul rock for our front sidewalk that is being redone. Well, the boys play outside everyday after school. One day I went down on one of my checks and the little neighborhood boy says, "There's something on the jeep door." I look and my heart literally stopped. I had no blood pumping for a while. At the time my arms were full of stuff, but after what I saw I dropped everything and ran down the stairs. Ethan, with a marker, (and mind you at the time I didn't know where he got the marker or if it was permanent or not) had decided to play tic-tac-toe on papa's jeep. Now Ryan and I have always stressed to our boys that we only write on paper. And, no that has not always what they have done however they have never written on anything so blatantly not paper. Oh wait, okay Ethan was the one who wrote circles down my sisters stairs with a marker. Each stair! Thank heavens it came out. But like I said I thought this phase was over! Nope he wanted to play tic-tac-toe and no one would play with him and the big blank yellow-orange canvas of the jeep doors (yes both doors) were to inviting for him. So he played by himself. I ran and got a paper towel and I don't think I ever scrubbed something so hard, except maybe my sister's stairs. It came off but you could still see the shadow of it in the right light. AAAAggggghhhhhh!!! Ryan says it will buff out. And luckily papa was in a good mood and loves his 4 yr. old grandson. Maybe this is how Picaso started? Silver linings right?

Next, couple of days later found his name written on the back of our van. It happened the same day as the jeep it was just in a light yellow marker, not the black used on the jeep, so it was harder to find. Funny thing is Ethan is very proud of himself that he can write his name and loves to make pictures for people and sign his name. Well, you know these little acts are meant to be devious because why would you leave your name as evidence of who the culprit is. Ah young stupid innocence.

Next, walked into the bathroom the other day and there was hair in the sink about an inch long and scissors laying there too. They are Ethan's art scissors. Me- Ethan what did you do? Ethan- I gave myself a haircut. It was sticking up. Now I know this happens with little girls all the time so I didn't think I would ever have to deal with self cuts! Wow was I wrong. Thank heavens that it is not too noticeable. His hair just looks a little thin in the bang area and up top in one section.

And finally, at least for now, about two weeks ago he got out his cars lunch pail and was putting various snack foods in it. I asked him what he was doing and he said that he was just making himself a snack.. I didn't pay much attention to him after that because he seemed to have it under control. Fast forward to this last Sunday. It is his turn to bring snack for his Sunbeam class at church. He gets out his lunch pail to put the class snack in it. He starts to unzip it and it starts leaking blue liquid. Totally bewildered and disappointed Ethan asks," Where'd my popsicle go?" HE HAD PUT A POPSICLE IN THE LUNCHPAIL OVER TWO WEEKS AGO AND THEN PUT IT BACK IN THE PANTRY WHERE IT GOES! `HAH!!! Trying to get out the door for church and now had popsicle goo all over floor. Oh, E-man!! We love ya!

2 comments:

  1. AAAAHHHHHHH! This is way too funny! I love it. I had totally forgotten about the stairs, that's funny. Bill is such a loveable grandpa, if anyone would love their grandson more it would be him. That's awesome memory making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing--I think Ethan and my almost-4 Nathan would be quite the team! This TOTALLy sounds like life at my house!!

    ReplyDelete